Wow, what a morning. It started off as a usual morning. Getting the kids ready for school. Plans to meet some friends for breakfast then get some groceries and come home to pick up the house before Mia's speech appointment. Jonathan was on the way out the door when he said, "Where is my retainer?" O.K. he was given this retainer last week when they took his expander out to hold the expansion in place until his bone graft surgery on Friday. He was given a bright yellow case to put it in when eating. He had been doing such a good job at putting it in the case. I told him to check his case and no it wasn't there. He said, "I left it on the island when I got my cereal". Well, just moments before Megan informed me that Sparky was eating some sort of candy wrapper. All the sudden it clicked- that wasn't a candy wrapper it was Jonathan's retainer. I ran into to find that Sparky had chewed one side off. Called the doctor. He said how quick can you get here? He leaves the office for clinic at 11am. I still have 4 kids to drop off at school and it is now 8 am. I am 2 1/2 hours away! We were already considering going down later that evening because there was inclement weather coming in that might permit us from getting there on Thursday for his pre-opt appointments. I dropped the boys of at school and called Steve to meet me at home to take the girls on to school because by now they needed to be signed in. By now they were tardy. I packed real quick and we were on our way. We didn't make it until 11:45 and yes, the doctor had left but there was a nice brand new retainer sitting on the counter for Jonathan. He put it in and they told us the doctor would be back in the office at 2:30 should there be any problem.
We then went on the the Ronald McDonald house where we were scheduled to stay on Thursday night. I asked if they happened to have space available for this evening. At first she said, "no that they were full but to give her a couple hours because there was a baby that might be discharged from the hospital that day". We went and looked around at some stores and then stopped back and sure enough the baby was able to go home. We had a room! I think the thing that I marvel most about is how in control God is, even in the fine details of life. Sure enough we woke up Thursday morning to ice and snow and wouldn't have been able to make the drive.